It’s Right There at Your Fingertips: Tips from the 2012 Leadership Summit
The Leadership Summit is like a bowl of Halloween Candy. There is a lot of it, and it’s all worth having. But there are always those favorites that you separate out and try to savor later.
One choice treat came from a quote read by Lisa Funk, CHAE, HFTP Global President. It really got me thinking about how much is available to us if we seek it out. She shared the thoughts of Past Presidents, and Howard Isaacson stressed how much value we can get for our annual dues. Few other associations give back so much to their membership.
If you are a leader in your chapter, you should try to make it to these summits. It is surprising to see how much I share in common with other chapter leaders. The brainstorming has been sharp, and there are valuable nuggets to help us work through our challenges.
Here are some “Fun Size” treats that may be of interest for a relatively new chapter leader (like me):
- Invest the time to use the Chapter Management Plan tool. Set a goal or two for your chapter. Without targets to shoot at, your chapter may start to slip.
- If you want people to become more involved, ask. But ask them one-on-one. Somebody might really be interested in doing more, but they may not speak up when a call is made out to the group.
- “You cannot lead if you do not have enthusiasm,” a quote paraphrased from the U.S. Marines by speaker Denise Ryan
- Talk up your involvement in HFTP to your GMs and club managers. Show them what you have learned and know that HFTP involvement can lead you to the top of your field.
- “Let our lives be useful.” – R.P. Rama. As chapter leaders, make sure that everything we do benefits our members.
So far, it’s been all treats. No tricks.
The content published in this section was provided by HITEC Guest Bloggers. The information is the view/opinions of the Guest Bloggers and not of HFTP, nor of any person or organization affiliated or doing business with HFTP.