Written By: Susan Savkov
Defy the Statistics, Start Your New Year with HFTP®
The start of the new year is upon us and you may be reading all the articles on setting your New Year’s resolutions. According to website, Statistic Brain, only 8 percent of people are successful in achieving their resolutions. If you are like me, you read that statistic and wonder what is my chance for success?
It is understandable that starting a new year gets us all thinking how we can improve our lives and our careers. So what can someone do to tip the scale in their favor in maximizing their career resolutions? Hint: You have already taken the first step.
So, here is the short answer: Your HFTP Membership. The long answer? Read on to find out how.
Be More than Just A Statistic
HFTP members already have an advantage which can help them beat that 8 percent statistic. When you joined HFTP, you made a resolution to grow in your hospitality career. Just by taking that first step, you have opened the door to new possibilities which are available to all HFTP members no matter where they are in their career.
January is a good time to review your HFTP membership benefits and decide where you may be able to utilize them.
Keep It Simple
Just think of one goal you would like to accomplish this year. Network more? Find your first hospitality job? Study for HFTP certifications? As mentioned in this article from from Forbes.com, keep it simple – check the article out for more tips. Think about a goal you can attain through your HFTP membership.
Need some help in coming up with a goal? I have compiled a list below of sample goals and benefits your HFTP membership provides to you.
- I would like to network in my industry. Have you joined the Community@HFTP? Correspond with members from all over the world who are asking questions, giving answers and advice. You will find yourself networking in no time.
- I would like to learn the latest in industry trends. HFTP will have five Digital Learning Days this year including Digital Learning Day Asia and Digital Learning Day Europe. These are completely online events which will explore some of the hottest topics our industry faces today.
- I am graduating in May and want to start looking now for a position in hospitality. The HFTP Job Board is a great place to start. (as well as the Community@HFTP). You can search for HFTP members in the area of your job search or reach out to members of HFTP’s Membership Concierge Advisory Council for thoughts.
- I want to expand my educational opportunities. Take advantage of discounts for HFTP and industry partner events such as the world’s largest hospitality event, HITEC. This year you can get “Triple the Tech” with HITEC Amsterdam, HITEC Toronto and HITEC Dubai (plus lots of networking).
- I would like show my proficiency in my field of expertise. HFTP offers the only hospitality-specific certifications for accounting and technology. Check out our recent blog post on HFTP certifications and the positive impact on the careers of those who have achieved their designations.
These are just some examples to get your creative juices going. What are your goals for 2017? Remember to keep it simple and attainable.
“Your HFTP Membership” is there to assist you wherever you are in your career journey. HFTP wants you to defy the statistics and achieve your goals. Tell us your goal for 2017 and how HFTP can help you.
Susan Savkov is the HFTP Membership Marketing Manager. Contact Susan at Susan.Savkov@hftp.org or +1 (512) 220-4028.