Written By: Evita Ma
In 2014, the HFTP Asia Research Center was established in collaboration with the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) School of Hotel and Tourism Management (SHTM). The center is based in Hong Kong, the central city in Asia geographically.
Asia is one of the fastest-growing tourism regions in the world, and continues to boom today. According to World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), Asia and the Pacific led an eight percent growth in international tourist arrivals in 2016 due to strong demand, and it is expected to grow five percent this year.
East Asia and South Asia are the world’s most dynamic regions. While Korea, Japan and Thailand are popular places for outbound tourists, China is the focus of hospitality practitioners from all over the world. This focus drives growth and benefits from the steadily rising economics in terms of inbound and outbound travel, as well as large-scale spending.
The HFTP Asia Research Center supports the growing number of hospitality technology and finance professionals in Asia, and contributes to HFTP’s global expansion.
I officially joined HFTP in 2016, and feel honored to be part of this amazing team. I was a member of the HFTP student chapter at PolyU while undertaking my bachelor’s degree in hotel management. As a member I was able to communicate with industry professionals and help with the Global Hospitality Accounting Common Practices (GHACP), which all leave me with impressive memories.
After attending the University of Houston’s Conrad N. Hilton College as part of an exchange program, where HFTP has a student chapter, I found HFTP to have a stronger presence in the United States than I expected. I saw how many industry leaders are eager to help you, inspire you and share their views. It is such a great platform to absorb information, improve skills and network with others.
Incredibly, I restarted my HFTP journey while based in Asia. The association might still be a beginner in the Asia market, though no one would reject this resourceful platform.
The HFTP Asia Research Center provides many benefits to our privileged members and promising industry professionals, including:
- Webinars. We held the first ever Asia Digital Learning Day in 2017. Next year, HFTP will offer the regionally-specific education program as a quarterly event, complimentary to HFTP members and nonmembers.
- Research Projects. This is special, routine research requested by HFTP members that analyzes and guides a complex issue in line with the current environment. For example, we can conduct research that details the effects of the new cybersecurity law in China.
- Optimizing PineappleSearch. This is HFTP’s hospitality search engine. It is a highly-specialized search tool focused on a hospitality industry information database.
- Connecting to the World. HFTP is a strong, collaborative community that hosts wonderful events like HITEC and provides networking opportunities with industry leaders, customers and partners.
- Community. Community@HFTP is an interactive online discussion platform. You can raise questions and get answers from thousands of colleagues and members.
- Confidence with Certification. CHAE and CHTP will help you position yourself as a professional dedicated to this industry.
Learn more about the HFTP Asia Research Center and HFTP’s commitment to global education and advocacy.