Written By: Susan Savkov
The end of the year is around the corner and, for the majority of us who are procrastinators, we need to catch up on our professional development — and fast. You may still need additional continuing education credits (CPEs) for your CHAE or CHTP certification renewal and, for you, the deadline to report these credits is December 31st. Or, maybe you had plans to catch up on the latest hospitality trends and then decided to put it off. Panic sets in when you realize you need to do it before the end of the year.
But wait, before you panic — did you know that, as an HFTP member, you have access to quality education throughout the year? You do not have to do frantic internet searches for hospitality-focused webinars in the hopes they are free or offered at a low cost.
HFTP’s ProLinks webinars are great opportunities for your professional development. HFTP offers both live and archived webinars free for HFTP members. There are many benefits to using webinars to help you advance your knowledge of (and your position within) the hospitality industry.
Benefits of attending webinars for professional development:
- It’s convenient. Learn from the comforts of your office or home. A webinar is essentially job training delivered right to your desk. They don’t require the time or cost of travel. All they require is a computer, an alert mind and an hour or so of your time.
- It’s cost-effective. This benefit is offered at no cost to HFTP members — while the nonmember registration fee is $50 USD.
- It’s flexible. You can access the learning material at any time. If you miss a live webinar, you can find it later in the webinar archive for 2017 and 2018 webinars.
- You can customize your learning. You decide what topics or areas of study you want to focus on — whether it is technology, finance, ethics, leadership, chapter relations, or something else being offered.
- You can earn while you learn. Webinars are a great way to gain CPE credits for your CHAE and CHTP certification renewal.
- It can be interactive. During a live webinar, you have the opportunity to ask questions and exchange comments with the presenter, moderator or other learners using the chat feature.
- It’s easy to use. Simply log into your HFTP Classroom after registering for a webinar and launch the session when it is scheduled to start.
- It’s focused. Are you working or doing business in a certain region in the world that you want to focus on? HFTP offers Europe- and Asia-focused webinars throughout the year presented by industry professionals in those regions. There are also specific webinars offered to HFTP members who serve as chapter leaders.
Tips for getting the most out of your webinar experience:
- Choose topics carefully. Make sure it’s subject matter that you want to learn, that helps you in your profession, or that fulfills continuing education requirements. If you overwhelm yourself with webinars, you might burn yourself out.
- Take notes. The presenter usually makes sure to share the presentation slides, but your own notes could better help you remember key points and valuable details that best help you in your job.
- Ask questions. Take the opportunity to address your questions in the chat field or follow up with an email so that you can walk away with a complete understanding of the material you just learned.
- Report for CPE credit. The deadline for the maintenance reporting for the 2017–2018 cycle is coming up soon. Take advantage of archived webinars and submit reporting for this cycle by December 31, 2018.
Check out HFTP’s Upcoming Webinars
Be sure to check your email inbox for the monthly webinar announcement to learn what webinars are being offered — or find a list of upcoming webinars online at www.hftp.org/prolinks/webinars/.
Are you interested in presenting an HFTP webinar or have a topic suggestion?
Your HFTP membership is about giving you the tools, events and resources to help you advance in your professional environment. Check out HFTP’s ProLinks webinars today and see what you can learn.
Susan Savkov is the HFTP Membership Marketing Manager. Contact Susan at Susan.Savkov@hftp.org or +1 (512) 220-4028.