Written By: James Lingle, an official guest blogger for HITEC Houston 2018
I cannot count the number of times I have come to the realization that it is now time for something that I am not completely sure I am ready for. I feel that way about HITEC this year. Not that I’m not ready for HITEC – I’m just not ready for HITEC! Every year, as part of my plan to make the most of HITEC, I take the time to look through the educational programs and the show floor listing to find things that are on my “must” list.
As I look through this year’s information, I am (again) excited about what is in store. Based on what I have seen, I would like to share some suggestions about what you might want to check out this year at HITEC.
Everybody’s newest hot topic is GDPR – Do we really understand it and do we really know what we should be doing? Add to that, the fact that GDPR does not exist in a vacuum. I would have to go back and check, but I am willing to guess that the focus on security-related topics this year may be at an all time high for HITEC.
Check out the full schedule on the HITEC website, or download the HFTP Multi-Event app on the Apple or Google Play stores (search “HFTP Events”) to review what is in store.
In the meantime, consider checking out these:
- An interesting looking session on Data Privacy takes place on Monday morning at 8:00 a.m. How can we protect our data and our guest’s data, and maintain our reputation?
- There is a Tech Talk on the show floor about data breaches on Tuesday at 11:00 a.m.
- On Wednesday morning at 8:30 a.m., there is a Super Session that is (for me) a “must see” – Blockchain. I don’t know what I don’t know about this and I am eager to catch this one.
- Check out the GDPR Update session on Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. — one I won’t miss for sure.
- Last (and most certainly, not least) — don’t leave early! Check out Theresa Payton as Thursday’s closing keynote. Among the topics she will discuss will be security and blockchain and the workplace. I have had the opportunity to hear Theresa speak before. She is an engaging speaker and you will definitely walk out of there smarter than when you walked in.
I know that not everyone is on the security side of things, and there are plenty more things worth checking out. Here are a few that I find most interesting:
- Ethics 1 (Tuesday afternoon) and Ethics 2 (Thursday morning). I don’t know that I have ever seen this topic at HITEC before. I love when they add new and interesting topics.
- The subject of payment — Every single day at HITEC, there are great opportunities to explore payment, payment security and technology, and speak with experts in payment processing. Are you doing all that you need to do?
- Guest Facing Technology — The guests are why we do this! Explore topics like smart rooms, the arrival experience and the perfect hotel room.
- Entrepreneur 20X — No visit to HITEC is complete without checking out this startup pitch competition. You get to see some of the newest companies and the newest ideas for hospitality. You can even vote for your favorite, the People’s Choice winner, in the HFTP Multi-Event app (under the E20X menu item).
Truth be told, I could probably go on and list a number of other things worth checking out at HITEC. Hey – I haven’t even mentioned all of the after-hours fun. With luck I will see you there. If you see something that I should have mentioned, sound off in the comments below!